About the Program
Since 1979, Meals on Wheels South Texas has provided home-delivered meals for homebound seniors. We offer traditional home-delivered meal services in Victoria County and central DeWitt County. In 2022, we dedicated to expanding our service region and services offered with a pilot program funded by AmeriCorps Seniors.
Senior Support Services operates in eight counties: Aransas, Calhoun, DeWitt, Goliad, Jackson, Refugio, and Victoria. Our mission is to help those over the age of fifty-five live healthy lives while aging in place.
How It Works
In our expanded service region, risk of social isolation is on average 63%; 15% of seniors in recent years reported being food insecure, and 11% reported limited access to healthy foods. While the need is great, numbers of available volunteers are limited; potential beneficiaries will be assessed and prioritized based on level of need and demand for our services.
As a beneficiary, a volunteer will be assigned to visit you on a regular basis. Volunteers and beneficiaries are matched based on interests, availability, and schedules. We match neighbor to neighbor, sourcing volunteers from the communities where beneficiaries live.
Senior Support visits will provide you with:
- Companionship and increased access to community resources. You and your volunteer can visit and go on outings to places outside your home, that you enjoy.
- Nutrition support. Volunteers can help with grocery shopping and healthy meal prep.
- Household help. Light cleaning and errands are also some of the help our volunteers provide.
- Transportation to medical appointments. Get help making it to non-emergency appointments with your out-of-town specialists.
- A new friend. Our ultimate goal is to forge valuable friendships that enrich the lives of both our beneficiaries and our volunteers.
Please note that volunteers cannot assist with personal sanitary needs (such as bathing), transferring (such as from wheelchair to bed), and other activities requiring specialized training. However, volunteers will assist you in accessing the necessary resources.