Promote independents for area seniors by alleviating hunger and social isolation.
A community where all seniors live nourished lives.
What is Meals on Wheels?
For nearly 70 years, Meals on Wheels member programs have been a force in the fight against senior hunger and isolation. Programs operating under the name "Meals on Wheels" started in the United States in Philadelphia in the 1950s, serving food to homebound folks who would otherwise go hungry.
Meals on Wheels America was founded in 1974 as the primary association of home-delivered meal and senior services programs nation-wide. Independent programs like ours partner with the national organization to reassure clients and families of our high standard of quality among all our services. As part of the nationwide effort to improve the conditions of our aging population, we commit to operating at a level of quality that preserves the dignity of all our clients and makes us proud to be a part of the Meals on Wheels family of organizations.
Our organization was founded in 1979 as the Victoria Senior Citizens Association. Since then, we have provided home-delivered meals for homebound seniors through our meal delivery program; congregate meals, health screenings, and recreational activities at our senior citizen centers; and transportation to medical and personal care appointments and other destinations for those over 60 who can no longer drive themselves. We joined the Meals on Wheels America family in 2018 as Meals on Wheels Victoria.
For our first 40 years, we served primarily within the city limits of Victoria. Then, in 2020, in response to increased demand from COVID-19, we stepped up to deliver in rural Victoria County. In July 2021, with the support of United Way of the Crossroads, we expanded to central DeWitt County.
2022 saw our service area expand to an eight-county region, and to reflect our commitment to serving seniors across our service area, not only in Victoria proper, we renamed to Meals on Wheels South Texas.
Each premade meal is a delicious, nutritious collaboration between a registered dietician and Executive Chef Brenda Amaya. When we make a delivery, a senior receives needed nutrition to heal and thrive and the kindness of a smiling volunteer; sometimes, that delivery is the only social interaction a senior can expect all day.
MOWSTx is, at our heart, a home-delivered meal services organization. But older adults are so much more than bellies to fill. Under the More than a Meal philosophy, our programs take a holistic approach to helping our older neighbors age in place.
Our range of supplementary services focuses on providing companionship. Our region suffers mainly from the effects of loneliness: AARP community health data scores our service area at a 63% risk of social isolation, four times the statewide risk score. More seniors here live alone and struggle with living independently due to a lack of social support systems.
The effects of loneliness on health are well-documented, leading to worsened outcomes following a medical event, lack of motivation to stay healthy and continue to live independently, and increased rates of health complications and death. It's why we deliver More than a Meal:
- Connection Café: Seniors can join us every weekday for lunch and activities (including BINGO, celebrations, and education series on a variety of topics).
- Transportation Services: We provide transportation by appointment for residents 60 and older who live within Victoria. We transport clients to medical appointments, personal care needs, and essential shopping.
- Togetherness: This Friendly Caller and Friendly Visitor program aims to lessen the isolation and loneliness homebound adults can experience. By connecting volunteers with our clients, they can be the social support many lack in their day-to-day lives. By offering weekly calls or visits, you act as a vital safety check-in and social connection.
- P.A.W. Bites/P.A.W. Express: Pets Are Wonderful delivers monthly pet food and vet care to our registered clients for up to two pets per household. Vet care includes basic wellness checks and preventative care. We currently partner with Lone Star Animal Hospital.
- Library 2 Go: The Victoria Public Library and MOWSTx have partnered together to bring library materials to our homebound clients. Our clients can sign up to receive books, magazines, audiobooks, movies, etc., to help enrich their daily lives.
MOWSTx provides various services to Victoria County and Cuero, Tx. Give us a call at 361-576-2189 to learn what's available in your area.